Saturday, March 12, 2011

Why are we here?

In class, we asked ourselves the really deep questions. Why are we here? Where did we come from? Do we have a purpose? And none of these questions that we asked ourselves can be taken lightly. I think that is what was the hardest part. Not being able to actually come up with an answer to them. Because, if we think about it logically, our answers are only our opinion. They can never be proven as fact.
But to us, they are fact.
In my opinion, I was put on this earth to make the place different, to affect others in a positive way. I would be happy to leave this earth knowing that I had changed someones life. I also believe that God put us here, not because I am categorized as a "hard-core christian" but just simply because I have faith. I need to believe that there is something out there. But again, that is my opinion.
Others believe we are here due to science and to simply re-produce, but I need to believe that there is more to life then just simply to create more life. Sure, that may be a part of it. But, to me, there has to be something more to this story. I need to believe in this, otherwise I fear I would be very un-forfilled in life.

But this is my opinion, and I believe TOK is helping me to define my opinions and to not succumb to just what others believe, but to be enlightened by their choice.

My opinion can never be proven, but in truth, neither can yours.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting reflections. Good to see the way you balance the stuff we are covering in TOK with other aspects of life. Proof is elusive, but hopefully we'll discover that well justified opinions can be held with confidence.

    ReplyDelete