Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Human Response

In our previous TOK lesson, the class was split in half; one half was observing the patterns of human reaction in certain conditions, and the other half were the ones being observed (supposedly without knowing they were being watched).

At first, this exercise made me rather uncomfortable. Being one of the observed, I knew quite quickly what the other half of the class was doing. When I realised this, my whole personal reaction to the test changed and instantly I put on a persona for the class to see, for example, on task with a straight back and calm attitude because I believed this to be something that the observers would want to see. This highlights perfectly how truth is incredibly difficult to obtain in the light of human reactions and actions. Once a person knows that they are being tested for something, instantly, whether we mean it to happen or not, our truthful attitude (if we have one) becomes one that is in fact biased.

In future, the truth must be sought without the people being tested knowing, for that is the only way that the answers will not be thought out or biased.

No comments:

Post a Comment